Sunday, January 5, 2014

DIY Deodorant

Since I previously talked about, I will post my recipe for DIY/Homemade Deodorant. Like I said, I've been making and using it for over a year (maybe 2?), so I think it's safe to say I like it.

Backstory: I don't know how it happened exactly (I'll blame the internet), but sometime a few years back, I started to become more concerned with eco-friendly products and organic food. So I bought some Toms of Maine junk-free deodorant. It smelled okay, and was more 'junk-free' than the Dove's I had been using, but it really did an awfully terrible job at stopping sweat/smell of any sort. And it kind of stung my armpits when I put it on. So, as I googled what else I could try, I can across a blog by a lady who had made her own. I think she had gotten the recipe from another blogger as well. It looked easy enough, so I figured I would give it a try. And what do you know? IT FREAKING WORKED. 

So here is the recipe that I have been using. I'll tell you some details about it below.

DIY Deodorant
Ingredients
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup cornstarch
5 tablespoons coconut oil
Who would have thought 3 simple ingredients could literally make the best deodorant EVER.

Directions: 
Mix all ingredients together very well. Use a finger size scoop under each arm. If it's too hot where you live, you can keep it stored in the refrigerator. I just keep mine in the bathroom cabinet. 
*Note: I had to melt my coconut oil in the microwave before mixing, because it's winter here and everything is cold and terrible.





This deodorant smells amazingly coconut-y (if you like that sort of thing). I apply it once a day. The only time I've had an issue of it not being 'strong' enough or lasting long enough, was when there was a 90+ degree heat wave in September and I had to teach 25 6-year-olds for 7 hours in 'work' clothes in a second floor un-air conditioned classroom, with windows that only opened half way. I was fairly sweaty that week, but then again, so was everyone else. 
Of course, not everyone is the same so you might not have the same totally awesome results I did, but I hope you do! Give it a try! 
Finished product! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment