Monday, April 14, 2014

Homemade Tooth Powder (Guest Post)

If anyone is still reading this blog, they will recall that in my first post that I mentioned how much I hated the homemade toothpaste that I had tried making.
Well, a good friend of mine (who happens to be a fabulous chocolatier), messaged me about my toothpaste comment and asked if I'd be willing to try her recipe (and blog about it of course!). Her recipe is A LOT different than the one I tried last year, so I said I'd give it a go! She sent me some a few days ago and since I first tried it, I haven't used ANY regular toothpaste!
This stuff is seriously AMAZING! True, it is brown, and looks strange to brush with, not to mention it turns your toothbrush brown-ish, BUT, it works SO WELL!
It does a fantastic job at cleaning my teeth, tastes WAY better than the toothpaste I was previously using, and is Junk-Free!


Finished Tooth Powder

Here is the recipe and what my fantastic friend Allie had to say about it:


"Out of the zillions of all natural products used as alternatives for the more chemically loaded ones, toothpaste seems the most reasonable and important to me. Why would you scrub so many chemicals on your teeth? Although you’re being told they’re good for you, you’re putting chemicals IN. YOUR. MOUTH. And you ingest them every time you brush your teeth. This does not sound right.
A good friend of mine (whom I refer to as the organic and all natural guru) introduced me to tooth powder. I made it with a huge dose of skepticism, but much to my surprise, I loved it. I must, however, give credit where credit is due: my friend got this recipe from another blogger who aims to help others live a more healthy lifestyle.
On this post, she explains why she puts the ingredients into the tooth powder, the benefits of using a tooth powder, and where to find many of these ingredients, among other things. I used her recipe pretty much as is, with one exclusion.
Here is my recipe and method, but if you want to read more about the tooth powder, definitely check out her blog!
Tooth Powder Ingredients:
  • 4 tbsp. Bentonite Clay
  • 3 tbsp. Calcium Magnesium Powder
  • 1 tbsp. Baking Soda
  • 2 tbsp. Powdered Mint Leaf (powder in food processor or spice grinder)
  • 1 tbsp. Cinnamon
  • 1 tsp. Clove Powder
  • A few drops of Essential Oil (I went with Peppermint)
Method:
Mix all the ingredients in a bowl with a spoon, or put them all into a small glass jar with a lid and shake to incorporate. I went with mixing it right into a mini mason jar because a) less dishes to wash and b) mini mason jars are adorable and I want to put everything in mason jars.
How to Use:
Wet your toothbrush and dip it into the powder. Brush your teeth like normal and rinse.
Notes:
This recipe makes approximately ¾ c. of tooth powder which lasts for months. The tooth powder is dark brown and over time, it will turn your tooth brush the same color, and it may leave a residue in your sink, but it’s easily rinsed out. Also, I omitted the Xylitol Powder from her recipe because it was only added for sweetness and I personally didn’t mind it without. Lastly, I would recommend if you want more than one member or your household to do this, get separate mason jars and label them for each person because #germs." 

I hope you try her recipe and let me know how you like it! I will definitely be adding it to my homemade recipe book! 


No comments:

Post a Comment