Thursday, May 22, 2014

Chicken Tikka Saag



Today, I took the day off work to go to a doctor appointment, which I thought would mean I'd have the other 7 hours of my day to lounge around.
I was way off. Somehow, having a day off to relax suddenly turns into 'chore day'. #bummer.
So, I did laundry, cleaned, went to visit some old co-workers, went to my check-up appointment, aaaaaanndddd made Indian food in the Crockpot for dinner! :)

So here it is! My first attempt at making Chicken Tikka Saag (in the Crockpot)!
From what I understand, 'saag' means spinach and 'tikka' just means little pieces, so basically this recipe is chicken with spinach and some 'Indian' spices.

Ingredients: (Serves 2)
-1 large chicken breast (I used frozen)
-2 cups frozen chopped spinach
-1 cup chicken stock (which I made using 1 tsp. Better Than Bouillon + 1 cup water)
-1 small onion, chopped
-1/2 tsp. chili powder
-1/2 tsp. coriander
-1/2 tsp. cumin
-1/2 tsp. crushed garlic
-1 tsp. garam masala (which is an Indian spice mix)
-a few turns of the black pepper grinder (to taste)



Directions:
Throw everything in the Crockpot, (liquids and chicken first), then cover and set to low for about 8 hours. Shred chicken. Serve with rice.


*Notes* 
This is a very healthy dish, however that to me, makes it taste slightly less authentic in a way. Next time I make this, I might try using some olive oil or coconut milk, to give it a little creamy nudge.

Also, I'm just now realizing that this a very frugal meal to make, which is awesome! I'm thinking about adding price approximations to the meals I make from now on! :)

I hope you try this recipe! Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment