Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Chicken and Vegetable Soup


I cannot wait until this school year is over and I actually have time to write thoughtful posts. For now, here is a recipe I made up for chicken soup in the crockpot. I used mostly organic ingredients (because that's what we buy when we can). It's actually a lot more affordable than people think if you shop at Trader Joe's (the only grocery store we go to because they are so awesome).

Give it a try tomorrow when it will some how be snowing ❄ in New York again...



Ingredients: 
1/2 an (organic) onion
1 TBS crushed garlic 
3 (organic) carrots
5 small (organic)potatoes
4 (organic) celery stalks
1/2 cup dried pinto beans
4 cups chicken stock
3 cups water
1/2 cup frozen (organic) corn
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. basil
2 bay leaves
1 (organic) chicken breast (2 if you want a lot of chicken)
salt & pepper to taste



Directions:
Scrub the carrots and potatoes with a veggie brush (I use one similar to this). Or peel them if you prefer. Rinse the celery. Chop the onion, celery, carrots and potatoes. Put the dry beans in the pot, then throw in the chopped veggies and corn. Put in the garlic and other spices. Put the chicken on top. Pour in the stock and water. (It should come close to the top but not TOO close. You can use less water if needed).
Set crockpot to low for 10 hours (or until veggies are tender). It took mine about 12 hours to be done because I used frozen chicken.


I like making dinners like this when I know I'll be at work all day anyway. I chopped everything the night before, put it in the pot, and then the BF poured in the liquid and turned it on in the morning before work. It was done when I got home!



Leave a comment if you think you'll try it or when you try it! :) Thank you!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment